Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Battle of Good and Bad

Our pastor has been going through the book of Romans in the Christian Bible and this week he spoke on the last part of Romans chapter 7, which is unlike any other part of the Bible.  It speaks of the battle between the old self and the new life in Christ for the believer.
On the back of the sermon outline was this quote from C.S. Lewis, which has thrown wonderful light on an area of my thoughts I wasn't even aware I struggled with until I read it.

No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good.  A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means.

This is an obvious lie.  Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is.  After all, you find out the strength of (an) army by fighting it, not by giving in.  A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later.

That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness.  They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in.  We never find out the sterngth of the evil impulse inside us until we try to fight it.

C.S. Lewis

I love the way Romans chapter 7 ends:  "What a wretched woman I am!  Who will rescue me from this body of death?  Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"



Kathleen Ang - Dalseno of AmenPrintables
http://www.etsy.com/listing/97063624/2-corinthians-521-sin-for-us-8x10in-diy


Written for the Etsy CASTteam Mid-Week Blog Blitz Thread:  http://www.etsy.com/teams/6326/christian-artists-street-team-cast/discuss/10379409

7 comments:

  1. Very powerful scripture.

    I really like your rose photo. On the weekend I picked what I think will be my last bunch of roses for the year :( winter is setting in now even though it is still autumn. The mornings are frosty and it is below freezing each night. Still, at least the weeds are dying off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food for thought! Wonderful post...a keeper to revisit. Thank you! Your new heading picture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Luella! That was one concept I've probably not pondered too much in detail, but quite important to be acquainted with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the wonderful post. Jesus sacrificed himself on our behalf, even though we are so undeserving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post! Thank you: )

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1 Cor. 10:13- "there hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way of escape that ye may be able to bear it."

    HE is that way of escape - run right into HIM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before I thought that I wasn't a bad person so therefore I should be ok with God. After accepting the gift of salvation and finally taking the time to read the Bible, especially Paul's scriptures, that's when I understood what being a Christian means and how we need to live our lives in Christ.

    ReplyDelete